A thorough Biomechanical assessment by a skilled Podiatrist involves a lot more than looking at your feet. Podiatrists consider the structure & function of the entire kinetic chain & look for the presence of ‘pathomechanics’ (movement that may cause pathology or symptoms). If attending a Podiatrist or other health professional for a gait assessment, you should expect:
- A thorough, detailed history of injuries, medical conditions, family history, occupation, surgery, footwear & physical activity
- Evaluation of joint range of motion to identify asymmetry, muscular tightness &/ or weakness
- Evaluation of alignment problems (such as knock knees, bow legs)
- Evaluation of hip & lumbo pelvic stability
- Evaluation of knee function
- Evaluation of ankle & foot function
- Limb length measurement
- Gross Motor Skills
- Balance & Proprioceptive function
A thorough Biomechanical Evaluation should typically take 45-60 minutes & may include video analysis or photos of alignment & function.
Potter Podiatry offer elite standard Biomechanical Assessment in a spacious, comfortable environment. We strongly believe in educating our patients to understand their bodies better & work closely with other health professionals to facilitate improved movement.
Following Biomechanical/ Gait Assessment, a treatment plan will be prepared that may include Dry Needling, Stretching/ Strengthening programs, Massage, Foot Mobilisation or Foot Orthoses. We may also refer you other health professionals as appropriate.
Potter Podiatry is happy to provide detailed Gait reports on request.